via USAid expert to jet in for Tokwe Mukorsi disaster – DailyNews Live by Helen Kadirire 19 FEBRUARY 2014
The US government has requested that a regional advisor be sent to Zimbabwe to assess the impact of the Tokwe Mukorsi basin disaster.
In an interview with the Daily News on Friday, Karen Kelley, counsellor for public affairs at the US Embassy, said they would be sending in, the advisor through the USAid office.
“An advisor from the USAid office for foreign disaster assistance will be coming into Zimbabwe to liaise with other relief organisations to identify additional needs as they arise,” Kelly said.
She indicated that this would be in addition to the $750 000 they had already advanced to the International Organisation on Migration (IOM) which is dealing with the disaster.
Kelley said the funds would be used by the IOM to track those who had been displaced and place them in more secure settings.
“The funds would be channelled towards co-ordinating placement of those affected, to safe areas as well as to provide for some food rations,” she said.
Sam Grundy, an IOM representative, said concerted efforts were being made by development partners to mobilise more resources based on verified emergency humanitarian needs.
“Multiple donor agencies are supporting the emergency response in Tokwe-Murkosi to compliment government of Zimbabwe efforts,” Grundy said.
“IOM’s current interventions have been made possible with the generous funding from Emergency Response Fund (ERF) which is coordinated by UNOCHA, OFDA and ECHO.”
Grundy stated that apart from emergency shelter and transport for evacuation, they are also providing health services like mobile clinics, health screening, referrals and basic health care in collaboration with the ministry of Health and Child Care.
The government has so far identified Masangula, Chisase and Chingwizi as relocation sites, with schools being used as temporary sites before flood victims are moved to permanent places.