The ZIMBABWE Situation Our thoughts and prayers are with Zimbabwe
- may peace, truth and justice prevail.

Back to Index

Back to the Top
Back to Index

Daily News

      Residents petition against evictions

      12/2/2002 (GMT +2)

      From Ntungamili Nkomo

      Kamativi residents have resolved to petition the High Court to stop
the Hwange Rural District Council (HRDC) from evicting them from the
compound of the abandoned mine to make way for members of the Zanu PF youth

      The residents are represented by F J Mazhame-Magazi, a legal
practitioner. Mazhame-Magazi confirmed that the residents were petitioning
the court and challenging the legality of the HRDC eviction order. She
refused to give more details saying that might prejudice the matter before
it has gone to court. But she said the evictions were illegal, and that the
notice period the residents had been given was too short for them to

      "I cannot say much about that, but it is true I am representing the

      "But I won't say any more than this because I am afraid that might
prejudice the whole process," she said. The residents were given until
Saturday to vacate the premises, but were not given an alternative
relocation site. When the eviction orders were issued last month, only
suspected MDC supporters were told to vacate the centre, but the order took
a new twist last week with everyone being told to leave.

      Zanu PF is establishing a training base for its youth brigade,
derisively known as the "green bombers", at the compound. It is, however,
not clear what type of training the youth will be undergoing. Nkosilathi
Tshuma, the area's MDC provincial secretary, said the residents would not
leave until the issue was resolved in the courts. Tshuma said: "We are
taking the issue to court because we are really worried about the evictions.
We won't allow the ruling party to treat people in such a manner. "Zanu PF
is not considering the harm it is inflicting on the people."
Back to the Top
Back to Index

Daily News

      UN official warns of refugee influx

      12/2/2002 11:23:48 AM (GMT +2)

      From Our Correspondent

      ZIMBABWE could soon be home to thousands of Rwandan nationals who are
set to be expelled from Tanzania, a United Nations official warned last

      The Rwandans, predominantly from the Hutu ethnic group, have been
staying in Tanzania as refugees since 1994.

      The Tanzanian government will, within the next three weeks, begin to
forcibly repatriate thousands of Hutu refugees to Rwanda in what is feared
could lead to an exodus of the refugees to either Zimbabwe or South Africa.

      "We are preparing a big budget for that," said an official from the
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees' (UNHCR) office in Harare.

      The official said the UNHCR office was on high alert for a possible
influx of thousands of Rwandan refugees who will be expelled from the East
African country.

      Reports emanating from Tanzania say the government of President
Benjamin Mkapa has resolved to forcibly remove all Rwandan refugees from
their soil on the grounds that peace has now returned to the tiny Central
African country.

      There are more than 30 000 Rwandan refugees in Tanzania. Most of them
are staying at Ngara Camp, which is near the borders of Burundi and Rwanda.

      Officials from the UNHCR in Harare last week said there were strong
indications the Rwandans would trek down to Zimbabwe because of alleged
retribution by the Tutsi-led government.

      Zimbabwe is seen as a safe haven for asylum seekers from Rwanda,
Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

      The Rwandan government is said to have launched a massive witch-hunt
for individuals suspected to have participated in the 1994 genocide which
left about one million Tutsis and moderate Hutus dead.

      "The Rwandan government is demanding that the refugees be brought
back," said a diplomat based in Harare.

      "Instead of going back, they will go to South Africa or Zimbabwe where
conditions are better.

      "In Zambia and other countries conditions are bad. Besides, Zambia is
too close to Rwanda."

      A Tanzanian diplomat based in Harare said: "The Rwandan refugees
should go back to their country. We have been feeding them for a long time
now. They must go back and solve their problems."

      The anticipated influx of thousands of the refugees will impact
heavily on the country's national budget.

      The government is struggling to cope with the needs of 10 000 refugees
staying in Zimbabwe.

      Isaac Mukaro, the commissioner for refugees, declined to comment on
the matter.

      John Adu, the head of the UNHCR office in Zimbabwe, said he needed to
research more on the matter before making a comment.
Back to the Top
Back to Index

29 November 2002
Dear Business Report Viewer
The Weekly Newsletter
Foul weather ahead?
According to sources, a number of US analysts and investors view South Africa’s economic and political developments over the past months as a forewarning of disaster.
Among those is the outspoken Robert Chapman, a retired stockbroker and editor of The International Forecaster.
In a commentary published in early November on's precious metals information website, Chapman stated that he felt South Africa's charter on black empowerment in mining was mere theft.
"Now that it's agreed and has become law the ANC government is taking 26 percent ownership in South African mines.
"That theft having been completed, South Africa's minerals minister Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka [went] to London to perform a dog and pony show to convince the Royal Family that the theft was justified and thereby restore international investor confidence," he said.
Chapman said he found the acceptance of the charter by local mining companies distasteful.
"When the 26 percent, 10-year offer was made, we puked as white-owned mining companies rushed to give their blessing saying the theft was achievable. Not one of these lily-livered jerks said a thing in opposition to the nationalization.
"The 10 billion dollars needed to pay for the forced takeover will simply be [provided] by the World Bank. After this episode you'd have to be a total moron to keep your funds in South African gold shares," Chapman said.
Strongly worded statements such as these once prompted cowboys to reach for their weapons and drawl: "Them’s fighting words."
Chapman's comments drew a response from Dr Clive Roffey, a leading South African independent market analyst and strategist.
"Although he [Chapman] may have lived in South Africa and thus lay a tenuous claim to knowing the country, that was 30 years ago and his vitriolic ultra-rightwing views may have been the norm at that time but in today’s climate are so far from reality that it is embarrassing," Roffey said.
Roffey said Chapman's comments gave the impression that there would be an 'immediate takeover' of South African mining interests.
"What Chapman fails to [reveal] is that the transfer of the 26 percent has to be paid for at full asset value, if this is his emotional 'theft' then he needs to reread his thesaurus."
"The truth of the matter is that black business groups for some time have had a significant shareholding in most of the large mining houses. Thus the effect of the mining charter is merely to rubber stamp a social movement that has been in place for several years," Roffey said.
Another bone of contention
Chapman has been rather unfazed by Roffey’s commentary. That is to be expected from someone that holds such strongly rooted views about investment prospects in South Africa, I suppose.
In fact, Chapman went on to respond to Roffey's rebuttal of his analytical work.
"There is nothing misleading about our comments regarding investment in South Africa and our claims of knowing the country are not tenuous," Chapman said.
"Our views are not vitriolic, they are measured and well researched. We are assisted in that endeavour by our many South African subscribers with whom we are in touch with on a daily basis by phone and through the wonder of E-mail," Chapman added.
Chapman said his bleak view of events in South Africa stemmed from a lack of faith in the government and the abilities of black people now being empowered to run companies.
"It is fortunate for the black Africans to take interests in companies but it is unfortunate for shareholders as at this point in their development as a people they can add little to running large companies," Chapman said
"They [black people] presently can't effectively run their own government. Our opinion is black empowerment will eventually bring chaos...owners and investors have to come to grips with the fact that eventually everything will be black owned.
"It could happen in a year or 15 years. You don't want to be invested there when it does happen," Chapman said.
The crunch
Chapman's comments are undoubtedly partially motivated by his strong lean to the right of the political fence. What I find troubling is that a similar bleak outlook on South Africa’s economic future is growing in some international circles, and local business and government seem to have done very little to appease foreigner investor's fears.
It points to either a lack of concern for foreign investment or misguided attempts to address concerns and misinformation of foreign investors on the part of these parties.
Philip Devine
Channel Editor
Business Report Online
Back to the Top
Back to Index

BOTSWANA-ZIMBABWE: Government denies tensions with Botswana

JOHANNESBURG, 2 December (IRIN) - Zimbabwe on Monday said a decision to recall its high commissioner to Botswana was part of a broader government reshuffle and had nothing to do with President Festus Mogae's recent criticism of the country's political and economic policies.

"A number of ambassadors have been affected by the changes and reports suggesting that the commissioner in Gaborone was recalled because of some kind of worsening relationship between Zimbabwe and Botswana is simply not true," political counsellor at Zimbabwe's High Commission in Botswana, Tamuka Muranga told IRIN.

But one analyst said Mogae's comments would have certainly angered Zimbabwean authorities and the removal of High Commissioner, Zenso Nsimbi, from Gaborone was evidence of that.

Last month Mogae told the London-based African Business magazine that Zimbabwe's deepening political crisis was due to a "drought of good governance".

"Mogae is the only African president who has publicly raised concern over the political upheavals in Zimbabwe. By recalling the high commissioner from Botswana, President Robert Mugabe certainly wants to send a clear message to Gaborone that Harare will not tolerate criticism," a senior researcher at the Institute of Security Studies Chris Maroleng said.

Meanwhile, the Botswana Guardian reported that Nsimbi had been recalled following his inaction regarding complaints that Zimbabweans fleeing economic hardships in their country were being ill treated by Botswana authorities.

Responding to the accusations, Mogae was quoted as saying: "This is a humanitarian crisis. We are trying to handle it as humanely as possible. But within the limits of our capacity, of our resources. We have no choice."

Maroleng said Nsimbi's replacement would certainly be a "ZANU-PF hardliner, somebody who could be tougher when it comes to defending the government's human rights record abroad".

"It is unlikely that there would be total breakdown in diplomatic relations between Zimbabwe and Botswana as there are diplomatic channels through which these tensions can be discussed. But what Mogae's comments makes clear is that not all African leaders support what is going on in Zimbabwe," Maroleng said.
Back to the Top
Back to Index

ZIMBABWE: Steps taken to protect women refugees against abuse

JOHANNESBURG, 2 December (IRIN) - Steps have been taken at Zimbabwe's Tongogara refugee camp to stamp out allegations of sexual abuse following two incidents at the camp earlier this year, David Mlambo, UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) administrator at the camp told IRIN on Monday.

The camp, in Chipinge, near the border with Mozambique, provides assistance to around 800 refugees, about half of whom are women.

In June allegations of sexual abuse by humanitarian workers saw two employees of the International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC) dismissed.

They had allegedly requested sexual favours in return for items like sanitary towels and blankets sent to the camp for distribution.

"We have brought in a female social worker and are trying to employ female officers instead of men," said Mlambo. "We want the women to be dealt with by women."

He added: "We have also asked for extra police involvement and they are on site. Everything is under control now," he said.

Liberian refugee Mary Browne told IRIN: "These days things are much better. The social worker deals with women's problems and they are opening up more to her than to a man."

The Zimbabwe incidents came after similar incidents in West Africa after which the UNHCR introduced a wide range of measures and operational guidelines to protect refugees against sexual abuse and inform them of their rights.
Back to the Top
Back to Index

ZIMBABWE: Two die in cholera outbreak near Beit Bridge

JOHANNESBURG, 2 December (IRIN) - Two people have died of cholera in an outbreak in Tongwe, near Zimbabwe's Beit Bridge, forcing authorities to close the local school to contain the spread of the disease.

In addition, 24 people in the area have tested positive for the illness since 1 December, UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) spokeswoman Muriel Mafico told IRIN on Monday.

The Minister of Health had seconded additional staff to the district to help, and UNICEF would send urgent help where required, Mafico said.

It was not yet known what had caused the outbreak.

The Daily News reported that the Health Ministry had set up control teams at Tongwe School and in major business centres, and were disinfecting boreholes in the area.

The Tongwe outbreak comes after a similar outbreak in nearby Masvingo province in August, which Mafico said had now stabilised.

A number of oganisations, including the Red Cross have been supporting the government's efforts and funding was currently being finalised to provide a cholera specialist for the government.

The World Food Programme warned, however, that Masvingo was one of a number of provinces experiencing severe food shortages.

Inadequate nutrition and poor water sources are known to fuel the disease which can also leave families too weak to tend to important food crops.
Back to the Top
Back to Index

GLOBAL: Donor support for education fast-track

ABIDJAN, 2 December (IRIN) - International donors have agreed to support a fast-track education programme in seven developing countries including Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mauritania and Niger, the World Bank reported. The other countries are Guyana, Honduras and Nicaragua.

Donor representatives, who met in Brussels on Wednesday, agreed to work with the seven countries to close a funding gap, currently estimated at approximately US $400 million over the next three years 2003-2005.

"This agreement under the Education For All Fast Track Initiative (EFA - FTI) will begin the process of ensuring that developing countries reach the UN millennium development goal to provide every girl and boy with a complete primary school education by 2015," the bank added.

According to the bank, the programme would educate 4 million girls and boys who are currently out of primary school, support those who could otherwise drop-out, finance teacher training, pay teachers' salaries, build new schools, help education systems respond to HIV/AIDS and ensure quality primary education for all children.

"The seven countries are the first to benefit from the EFA - FTI, launched in June [when] donors invited 18 developing countries that had completed full poverty reduction strategy papers and had on-going education sector programmes to participate in the FTI," the bank said.

"India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, DR Congo, and Nigeria - significant for their large numbers of out-of-school children, especially girls, were invited to carry out additional policy work so they can join the FTI in the future. These 5 countries account for 50 million of the estimated worldwide total of 113 million children out of school."

The FTI initiative offers donor financing for countries willing to prioritise primary education for all children and embrace policies that improve the quality and efficiency of their primary education systems.

Alongside the seven countries, the other 11 countries invited to join the FTI are: Albania, Bolivia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mozambique, Tanzania, The Gambia, Uganda, Vietnam, Yemen, and Zambia - which are considered to be on the right track and to enjoy donor support, the bank added.
Back to the Top
Back to Index