Private sector backs Govt on vaccines

Source: Private sector backs Govt on vaccines | Sunday Mail (Top Stories)

Gender and Community Editor

GOVERNMENT has accepted the private sector’s offer to assist in mobilising resources to procure Covid-19 vaccines as authorities step up efforts to curb the pandemic.

Two accounts, one under CBZ Bank Limited and another that encompasses all the country’s three mobile money platforms, have been created to receive donations.

In a statement, Finance and Economic Development Minister Professor Mthuli Ncube said: 

“Following constructive engagements between the Government, private sector and well-wishing citizens   in the procurement of Covid-19 vaccines Government welcomes and appreciates the offer by the private sector to complement Government’s resource commitment by contributing its own resources towards the effort.

“It is in this context that Government is announcing this broader private sector initiative to the corporate sector, citizens and other well-wishers to contribute financially and or otherwise towards the procurement of Covid-19 vaccines.”

He reiterated that vaccines will be provided for free to all citizens who wish to be inoculated.

The National Disasters Fund Account donations will be channelled through three CBZ Bank accounts available in US dollars, the South African rand or the local currency. 

On the mobile network platform, donations will be sent to biller codes for Econet (140286), Telecel (216732) and NetOne (094178).

Employers Confederation of Zimbabwe (EMCOZ) president Dr Israel Murefu said the private sector fully supports Government’s call for donations.

 “Business’s effort in making donations to the vaccine procurement drive has a two-pronged benefit to the economy and to citizens who will be able to access the vaccines for free.

“This is therefore a win-win gesture on the part of business and a continuation of what it has always been doing, which is to partner Government in collective efforts that serve the national interest in times of crises,” he said.

CZI president Mr Henry Ruzvidzo said the private sector through the Business Preparedness Response and Prevention initiative has been discussing coordination of the private sector contribution whilst awaiting indications from Government on the choice of vaccines and procurement costs involved. 

“We understand the Ministry of Finance is mobilising finances and will be pooling public- and private sector-sourced funds.”

Institute of Directors Zimbabwe chairperson Dr Mike Juru said the initiative is a positive step in the partnership between Government and the private sector.

 “I am confident the decision was reached after necessary controls had been put in place. 

“From a governance perspective, transparency is key to ensure future successes of similar initiatives,” Dr Juru said.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0