Source: 7m register for food aid | The Herald 08 NOV, 2019
From George Maponga in Masvingo
Seven million Zimbabweans in both urban and rural areas have been registered for food aid. In 23 districts, vulnerable households are already getting a 50kg bag of maize a month plus a grant of $100 to $250 depending on the size of the family.
The number of Zimbabweans registered as vulnerable and food insecure represents almost half of the country’s population with the crippling drought last year devastating crops in marginal areas, reducing yields in the rest of the country and limiting the scope for urban subsistence agriculture.
About a third of the vulnerable or 2,2 million live in urban areas resulting in Government and development partners piloting a food aid project targeting Epworth, which was considered vulnerable.
Public Labour and Social Welfare Deputy Minister Lovemore Matuke on Wednesday said Government and its partners were working to make sure the vulnerable receive assistance.
“We have started extending food aid and cash assistance to some of them, but we are yet to cover all the affected people,’’ he said.
Deputy Minister Matuke said only vulnerable people in 23 districts were receiving cash transfers and maize.