Blast victim laid to rest

Blast victim laid to rest

Source: Blast victim laid to rest | The Herald June 29, 2018

Blast victim laid to restMashonaland East Provincial Affairs Minister David Musabayana (right) hands over the national flag to Mrs Emilia Dube, widow to liberation war hero Cde Nelson Dube , who was laid to rest at his farm in Featherstone yesterday. – (Picture by Shelton Muchena)

Leroy Dzenga Herald Reporter
Vice President Kembo Mohadi’s aide Cde Nelson Dube, who succumbed to injuries sustained during last week’s White City Stadium blast and was declared a liberation war hero, was buried yesterday.

Cde Dube, who died on Monday at Mpilo Central Hospital, was buried at his farm in Featherstone, about 100 kilometres south of Harare.

Director-General of the Central Intelligence Organisation Ambassador Isaac Moyo said Cde Dube’s death was a loss to the nation.

“Nelson showed his dedication to his work throughout his service,” he said. “The numbers that are here are a testament of the man he was. We are proud of the work he did.

“We thank President Mnangagwa and zanu-pf for conferring our late officer with a liberation war hero status. We will continue to support Nelson’s family, the relationship we had with his family will continue even after his unfortunate death.”

Mashonaland East Provincial Minister David Musabayana condemned the circumstances which led to Cde Dube’s death.

“Cde Dube`s death was caused by an act of evil,” he said. “President Mnangagwa is preaching unity and peace, but there were some who found it fit to perpetrate the act of terror. It is painful.

“The President is saying there should be unity before development. Let us heed his calls.”

Mashonaland East traditional leader Chief Musarurwa also consoled the Dube family.

“We are deeply hurt with Dube’s death,” he said. “He was a dedicated farmer whose productivity at the farm was exemplary. Blood was spilt for us to get this land, we do not expect more blood to be spilt in independent Zimbabwe.”

Cde Dube’s eldest son, Simbarashe, said his father always encouraged them to work for the country.

“He was a teacher to us who always emphasised on the need to uphold patriotic values,” he said. “His farm was his priority. He spent most of his time from work here at the farm. We are obviously hurt by the loss, but we have to remain brave and make him proud.”

Cde Dube fought in the liberation struggle, where he survived the Chimoio bombing in 1978 which killed thousands of freedom fighters.

After independence, he joined the Zimbabwean National Army for four years before resigning in 1983.

He spent two years completing his high school which had been disrupted by the war.

In 1985, he joined the Central Intelligence Organisation which he served for 33 years, rising to the rank of Chief Security Aide.

Cde Dube was 57 at the time of his untimely death and is survived by his wife Emilia and three children.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 1
  • comment-avatar
    Ndebele 4 years ago

    Talking of violence – how many civilians has Zanu murdered since indepedence? There were about 20 000 in Matabeleland in the Genocide. The all the people they murdered on the farms when they decided to change the agricultural reasons “for political reasons.” What is the difference between a person being bombed today as against what the dear Minister of Agriculture did in Matabeleland? I think the difference is about a figure – and that figure is 19 999 which is the difference between 20 000 and 1? It is wonderful to see the British Empire sucking up to Zanu all over a again. At least ee all know what the MaBritish Poms are really like now.