Source: Government explores ways to replace vessel – herald
Freeman Razemba in KARIBA
THE Government has engaged boat operators and other private players in Kariba to explore the possibility of deploying another vessel on Lake Kariba following the recent boat tragedy in which 84 bodies have so far been recovered.
In an interview, the Minister of Transport and Infrastructural Development, Felix Mhona, said they had engaged operators and private players in Kariba to come up with a solution so that another boat will begin plying the same route for the benefit of the people.
“What we have said again is that our President, Cde Dr Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa is always talking about private sector participation and this is what we have appealed to the people of Kariba to say let’s put our heads together and as government we will play our part but also as private sector they have been doing this business, so they must come up with the solution and we will make sure that in terms of registration it’s easier, in terms of safety, we enhance safety issues and then we have a boat to ply that route,” he said.
Mashonaland West Provincial Affairs and Devolution Minister Marian Chombo appealed for the immediate release of a boat to service the route.
“Even if it’s a smaller boat, because you know it’s only 80km and it links the residents of rural or urban Kariba to their life, which is fishing.
“You know there are a lot of islands along the lake where they would go and buy or do their fishing.
“So although we are going to be able to provide them with this network, it’s really not going to resolve a lot of problems,” she said.
Minister Chombo said they stand ready to support any initiative that the Government or the ministry is going to avail to make sure that people access better services.
On Sunday, during engagements with boat operators, Minister Mhona assured the nation that Government will institute a full investigation, guided by the provisions of the Inland Waters Shipping Act [Chapter 13:06].
The investigation will examine maritime safety standards, regulatory compliance and other contributing factors.
Minister Mhona urged the nation to remain focused on mourning the victims and supporting affected families as investigations get underway.
“Government remains committed to strengthening safety measures and protecting all who depend on our waterways,” he said.
COMMENTS