BY PATRICIA SIBANDA
THE government has released $5 million out of the $28 million needed by Manama Hospital for renovations after the health institution’s infrastructure was destroyed by a hailstorm in October this year.
This was revealed by Matabeleland South provincial public works director Sijabuliso Ncube on Friday, who told Southern Eye that the amount was not enough for refurbishment work.
“We received $5 million from the government. We have used for some of the things that needed to be immediately worked on,” Ncube said.
“We still have a lot of work to do when it comes to the hospital. We have done 80% of carpentry, 50% plumbing, 30% electrical work, and we also need to paint the building,” he said.
Ncube said refurbishing the hospital was likely to be completed next year.
“We are most likely to finish the work at the end of January. We are still on site and the workers will take a break for the festive season. We will resume work two weeks into January.”
Government was said to have set aside $28 million to finance the refurbishment of the hospital mortuary and maternity ward.
Matabeleland South provincial medical director Rudo Chikodzore said refurbishment work had already begun.
Chikodzore said the roof of the maternity ward was also being repaired.
The medical director said the hospital was still rendering services to patients despite ongoing renovations.
The maternity wing had its roof blown off by strong winds on October 3 this year, while the mortuary has not been functioning for some time due to a poor refrigeration systems.