Govt shuts down Inyathi mine, 200 lose jobs 

Source: Govt shuts down Inyathi mine, 200 lose jobs – The Southern Eye

GOVERNMENT has reportedly ordered the closure of Queens Mine in Inyathi, Matabeleland North province, rendering over 200 employees jobless, Southern Eye has learnt.

The mine, owned by the Duration Gold Investment (DGL), was reportedly shut down for allegedly failing to comply with Mines ministry regulations.

 

Professional and General Mine Workers Union of Zimbabwe president Abraham Kavalanjila confirmed the development when contacted for comment.

Kavalanjila said workers were sent home without notice and pay and other benefits.

“The mine was closed for non-compliance with the mining regulations on the part of the management. More than 200 workers were affected,” he said.

 

“If the mine was closed due to non-compliance, it must not affect benefits of employees.

“The workers should have been well informed and they were not paid their dues which is a violation of Zimbabwe and international labour laws.”

Kavalanjila said his organisation would engage affected employees as soon as their details were available, adding that they “will not sit and watch the employer abusing fellow workers, the employer doing as he pleases”.

According to a letter addressed to workers dated December 20, 2023, mine manager Mathew Masvanganye said the company’s operations had been suspended by the Mines Inspectorate and Engineering Department.

“As a result, all surface and underground operations have ceased,” the letter read.

“The closure of our main production shafts financially cripples the entire DGL5 operation. As (such), your monthly fixed term contract of employment is hereby terminated in terms section 12(4) of the Labour Act [Chapter 28:01] and your last working day will be December 21, 2023.

“If there is any back pay and leave days owed to you, those will be paid once the organisation is operational and financially capacitated.”

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0