BY TAFADZWA KACHIKO
MEMBERS of Parliament are curious to know why government is treating with kid gloves Zanu PF-aligned land barons who have been invading housing, commercial and farm land across the country.
The issue was raised during the Wednesday National Assembly question and answer session where St Mary’s MP Unganai Tarusenga (CCC) said Local Government minister July Moyo should explain government policy on land invasion.
Norton legislator Temba Mliswa (Independent) weighed in saying: “Indeed a lot of illegal settlers are in agriculture and commercial stands, but government seems not to be doing anything about it. Is it because most of them are Zanu PF-aligned barons? Is it because they are untouchable because most of the land is in the hands of Zanu-PF members, particularly in farming areas where land is being disbursed by village heads, chairpersons of districts and all that? The police do not act when the cases are reported.”
Moyo was not in the House, and Justice minister Ziyambi Ziyambi responded on his behalf.
“I had not noticed that the acting minister (Daniel Garwe) is here, however, I will respond to the question. We do not have a policy promoting land invasion,” Ziyambi said.
Garwe then demanded that Tarusenga and Mliswa should bring a list of people who invaded land.
Speaker of the National Assembly Jacob Mudenda ruled: “It doesn’t matter whether they are Zanu PF or they have come from Honolulu, they should be dealt with according to the law. The law is clear that Zanu PF can’t be above the law.”
In Chitungwiza, the late Zanu PF politician Frederick Mabamba parcelled out land worth over US$16 million belonging to council.
He was arrested, but he collapsed in a cell at Harare Remand Prison in February last year.