Investigations have revealed that the alleged four bogus policemen who are still on the run in connection with the murder of a 28-year-old commuter omnibus conductor in Whitehouse in Harare are serving members of the police service.
The conductor Luke Zuze, who was fatally assaulted by the suspects, had allegedly refused to pay them a bribe for carrying people with a kombi not registered under the Zupco franchise, resulting in a scuffle.
The assault happened last Tuesday at around 5.30pm along Granary Road and the conductor died three days later after being admitted to Sally Mugabe Central Hospital.
In an interview yesterday, national police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said investigations were still in progress and that the net will soon close in on these rogue officers.
“The matter is still under investigations and it is being dealt by the CID Homicide section. Something is being done and definitely these officers will be identified and face the full wrath of the law,” he said.
Sources close to the investigations also confirmed that they had widened up their investigations with a view to arrest the suspects. Investigations conducted revealed that the conductor identified as Luke Zuze and his driver had been ferrying passengers from Mbare to Granary area when they stopped to drop off a passenger.
During the process, an unregistered white Toyota Mark II arrived at the scene and two of the policemen wearing uniforms confronted them while the other two who were also in uniform remained in their vehicle.
It is alleged that Zuze removed the kombi keys from ignition and ran away, but one of the police officers gave chase until he caught up with him before handcuffing him. The officer then started assaulting him before his three other colleagues joined him until he became unconscious. Zuze was taken to the hospital where he later died.
A report was made at Marimba Police Station.