Police brutality victim freed 

Source: Police brutality victim freed – DailyNews Live

Jeffrey Muvundusi      6 December 2017

BULAWAYO – Esigodini magistrate Tawanda Muchemwa has freed a suspected
Mberengwa gold dealer who was allegedly beaten by police while in custody
at Esigodini police base.

Muchemwa last month ordered the accused, Siziba Bvute, 35, to be taken to
hospital after police had brought him to court while struggling to walk
and he could not sit during the court session.

He, however, reportedly spent weeks admitted at Bulawayo United Hospitals
before he was released.

The accused person was facing three counts, driving without a driver’s
licence, malicious damage to property and assaulting a peace officer.

Bvute pleaded not guilty to all charges. The State, however, withdrew the
first count after it failed to produce substantiated evidence. On the
other two remaining counts, the accused person was found not guilty and

Magistrate Muchemwa took aim at the police accusing them of trying to
cover up their misdemeanour using the accused.

“The three counts were just but a cover up by the police given that they
had butchered the defenceless accused person. As a result, the accused
person has been found not guilty and acquitted on both counts,” he ruled.

This was not the first time when Muchemwa had complained about the conduct
of the law enforcers who brought Bvute to court. On the initial
appearance, the magistrate could not hide his disdain at the alleged act
by the police.

According to State papers, Bvute was caught by police while driving
without a licence at Mawabeni Business Centre.

The accused was reportedly taken to Esigodini police base where he was
left in the custody of one constable Jakarasi, after which he started
demanding his release.

He allegedly assaulted him with clenched fists and stones, resulting in
Jakarasi fleeing the scene to seek reinforcement from his colleague, one
constable Mawire.

It is further alleged that when the two arrived, Bvute went for Mawire
whom he also attacked, resulting in a police radio being damaged.

According to the charge sheet, the two cops were later sent to Esigodini
District Hospital for treatment.

The accused was arrested at the scene of the crime. His vehicle was