Woman forced to sit on acid, still battling for life 

Woman forced to sit on acid, still battling for life 

Source: Woman forced to sit on acid, still battling for life – NewsDay Zimbabwe March 8, 2018

 TEN months after she was allegedly forced by 10 police officers to sit on an acidic substance, a Victoria Falls woman is still battling for life and is appealing for assistance to seek specialist treatment in South Africa.

By Nokuthaba Dlamini

 Zibusiso Moyo (30) was allegedly tortured by police officers, who found her near a Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall and accused her of loitering for purposes of prostitution in June last year.

She suffered severe injuries on her backside and private parts. Moyo’s gaping wounds are not responding to treatment and she has been advised that only specialist doctors in South Africa can save her life.

Victoria Falls district medical officer, Wisdom Kurauone in a referral letter for Moyo said the chemical was still in her system and her condition was deteriorating.
Kurauone said the woman needed urgent specialist treatment, possibly in South Africa.

She has consulted a neurologist at Melpark Hospital in South Africa who said consultation and checkup would cost R10 000 and she needs additional transport money of $150 to travel to Johannesburg.

The mother of one, can hardly walk and has difficulties sitting. Moyo, who had a miscarriage after the incident, has lost a tremendous amount of weight.

Moyo also lost her job in South Africa. The police officers, who allegedly tortured have not been charged.

She was being tried at the Victoria Falls Magistrates’ Court for allegedly insulting the police officers, who forced her to sit on the acidic substance.

Moyo, through her lawyer, Thulani Nkala of the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights, denied the charges arguing that the docket opened against her was fake and police refused to take the alleged beer bottle where she was allegedly drinking from for tests.

The officers, under oath, claimed Moyo had insulted them.

However, during cross-examination the four State witnesses contradicted themselves leading to the magistrate Rangarirai Gakanje acquitting Moyo.