Zanu PF members clash over mine 

Zanu PF members clash over mine 

Source: Zanu PF members clash over mine – DailyNews Live

STAFF REPORTER      7 March 2018

BULAWAYO – ZANU PF youths in Gwanda are tussling for possession of mining
claims with aspiring Member of Parliament for Gwanda Central Jafet Dube,
in a development that has also sucked in Matabeleland South Provincial
Affairs minister Abednico Ncube.

So intense has been the fight that Dube has on several occasions allegedly
sent his youths to the West Nick Youth in Mining project owned by the Zanu
PF youths to disrupt the operations.

The mine, situated about 45 kilometres from Gwanda along the Beitbridge
road, was awarded to the youths in October 2017 as a tribute from a big
commercial mining company Farvic Consolidate Mine.

The gold mining tribute covers about two hectares.

West Nick Youth mining project chairperson Mpumelelo Nyoni told Southern
News that all was not well at the mine, as it had become difficult to
resume operations.

“In November last year, Dube approached us requesting that we accommodate
him in our mining claim,” Nyoni said.

“We didn’t have any problem with that, we then agreed that he brings at
least two people to work from here but he insisted that he wanted to bring
a group of people, a suggestion we turned down,” he said.

Nyoni said two months later, Dube – a former Zanu PF senator – reportedly
sent a mob of youths to demonstrate against them.

“They descended on the mine, carrying stones and various weapons. They
switched off pumps and threw boulders and stones into the mine shaft.

“We reported the matter to the police and only two were arrested, fined
and released. This has all been aimed at provoking us,” he said.

Nyoni said the demonstrators told them point blank that they had been sent
by minister Ncube and Dube.

“We confronted minister Ncube over the matter and he said he was not
involved but he said he knew Dube had interests.”

But Dube is not stopping in his pursuit to get the mine as he has
reportedly approached Farvic with the intention of taking over.

Nyoni said they have not been operating since February 6 due to the
disturbances caused by political interference.

While Dube was not reachable yesterday, Matabeleland South Zanu PF
provincial youth league chair Washington Nkomo confirmed the impasse.

“There is such a case that we have been trying to handle as the youth
leadership here,” Nkomo said.

“We have been on the ground and realised that the youths have all their
papers in order.

“It’s unfortunate that there are people who want to behave like animals by
taking what does not belong to them. We have rules in this country that
have to be followed,” he said.

Meanwhile, as the fight continues, the West Nick Youth in Mining project
members have since been dragged to court by a certain group that is also
claiming ownership of
the mining tribute.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0