Zimbabwe to Enforce 75 Percent Local Content Policy

Zimbabwe to Enforce 75 Percent Local Content Policy

via Zimbabwe to Enforce 75 Percent Local Content Policy by Chris Gande for VOA Zimbabwe 23.09.2013

The government says it will crack down on radio stations that do not implement its 75 percent local content directive compelling more air play for local artists.

The Broadcast Services Act of 2000 imposes a 75 percent local content clause with the remaining 10 percent being dedicated to the region and five percent to international content.

In its manifesto dubbed ‘Taking Back The Economy, Indigenise, Empower, Develop and Create Employment’ Zanu-PF said the youths have benefited from the 75 percent local content policy.

But there was a relaxation on radio where local and international content received fair play.

Reads part of Zanu PF’s 2013 July election manifesto; “An example of indigenisation is how the music in particular but also the entertainment industry indigenised as a result of Zanu-PF’s progressive policy that requires that at least 75 percent of all broadcasting content should be local.”

Information deputy minister Supa Mandiwanzira told VOA his ministry will ensure that the law is followed to the letter in the next five years.

Although most producers in the entertainment industry welcome the move, they say the government should also show its commitment by investing in the industry.

Music and film producer Zenzele Ndebele, who is also the information director at Radio Dialogue, says as long as the quality of music and films in the country remain low, people will continue to turn to foreign content for entertainment.

 

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 9
  • comment-avatar
    Tjingababili 6 years ago

    THE LOAD OF RUBBISH IS BACK! SPARE THE AGONY AND PAIN!

  • comment-avatar
    Kalusha 6 years ago

    Feel sorry for those without dstv,these guys are giving dstv more customers

  • comment-avatar
    nesbert majoni 6 years ago

    We want serous governance not that irrelevent stuff

  • comment-avatar

    75% Local, 10% regional and 5% international? Someone should check their maths! Otherwise it is another silly law that echo’s North Korea, Control control and more control.

  • comment-avatar
    Zvichapera 6 years ago

    What does the constitution say? Seems like a return to the days of one party state. Lol!! Well let’s see how it will work, what happened to the once vibrant Radio 3.

  • comment-avatar
    joseph 6 years ago

    ZBC staffers pack your bags stations are going to be reopened in Gweru plus Nyanga and Tsholotsho. Those who abandoned ship put your swimming jackets on.LoL. N’anga yamaifarira yavakubata amai.

  • comment-avatar
    Themba Mlangeni 6 years ago

    75 + 10 + 5 = 90% And the other 10%? Maybe its reserved for Nikuv Projects

  • comment-avatar

    75% which is being said here sucks coz the selection of the things aired is nuts. i wonder why these guys cant copy from other countries.the way the music calabash is presented towards luch is so boring as compared to channels which aslo air similar programme like the zambezi channel.have stlye pliz.