via 2nd Mugabe bomber’s trial set for March – NewZimbabwe 13/02/2016
ONE of the suspects charged with attempting to bomb President Robert Mugabe’s dairy company will be tried at the beginning of next month, a Harare court heard Friday.
Borman Ngwenya, a soldier attached Zimbabwe Intelligence Corps, is expected to appear before magistrate Vakai Chikwekwe on March 1 answering terrorism and money laundering charges.
Ngwenya was charged together with Zimbabwe’s People’s Front president, Owen Kuchata, who has since been jailed for 9 years after pleading guilty.
Also accused in the bombing plot were Solomon Makumbe, who is attached to 1 Field Regiment, and Silas Pfupa; the two were initially released before plea at State’s instance.
Court heard the two would be chief State witnesses against Ngwenya but they were rearrested and charged with treason two days after their release.
The development resulted in prosecutor general Johannes Tomana being arrested and charged with obstructing the course of justice.
All four suspects were arrested last month following an abortive bid to petrol bomb the Mazowe dairy farm.
They initially appeared before Harare provincial magistrate, Vakayi Chikwekwe, under heavy police guard and were charged for possession of weaponry for sabotage and money laundering for terrorism purposes.
However, Kuchata told court that they only wanted to carry out revenge against ongoing house demolitions which he said were directed by President Mugabe