31 drown as govt warns of floods

The government has warned the public to be on high alert for flash floods this summer season, amid reports that 31 people have drowned, with 13 schools and 394 homesteads destroyed since the beginning of the rainy season this year. BY OBEY MANAYITI

Source: 31 drown as govt warns of floods – NewsDay Zimbabwe December 13, 2016

BY OBEY MANAYITI

Addressing journalists in the capital yesterday, Local Government minister Saviour Kasukuwere, who also heads the Civil Protection Unit (CPU), cited Mangwe, Bulilima, Guruve and Nkayi as the most affected districts.

He said the victims had received various forms of assistance from the CPU and humanitarian organisations, adding that 4% of the country was exposed to extreme flood hazard.

“Furthermore, urban areas have become susceptible to flash flooding, as a result of blocked drains. Accordingly, all towns and cities have been instructed to urgently attend to these issues,” he said.

At the same event, Environment minister Oppah Muchinguri spoke strongly against littering and illegal dumping of waste, saying this resulted in pipe blockages and the resultant flash floods.

“In view of these expected heavy rains, we are making a call to the general public to take precautions such as avoiding crossing flooded rivers and settling in low-lying areas prone to flooding. We are expecting
the rains to also trigger the proliferation of waterborne diseases in areas with poor sanitation services,” she said.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 1
  • comment-avatar
    Joe Cool 5 years ago

    Last year the excuse was drought. Looks like this year it will be floods. Next year could be pestilence, if the Herald can round up a couple of locusts to pose for a photograph.