Source: Funds for new Parly building secured – Sunday News Jul 3, 2016
THE Government has secured US$101 million for the construction of a new Parliament building in Mount Hampden with the project expected to start before the end of the year.
Local Government, Public Works and National Housing Minister Saviour Kasukuwere said President Mugabe has already approved one of three proposed models, with Cabinet ministers expected to view all three models this week.
The ministry’s permanent secretary, Engineer George Mlilo said tenders for the construction of the building were being finalised.
“So far US$101 million is now available, with the Chinese government availing US$90 million and Zimbabwe forking out US$11 million for offsite infrastructure,” he said.
The new Parliament building is among the 12 mega-deals signed between China and Zimbabwe last year.
The deals cover key sectors such as infrastructure, telecommunications and energy. Our Harare Bureau understands that the building will have new designs after the Chinese government proposed latest design and technology. Initial indications were that baseline and architectural studies would be conducted this year so that construction could start in 2017.