Source: Keep off Caledonia, land barons warned | The Herald June 2, 2016
Bianca Leboho Herald Reporter
Government has warned land barons to keep off Caledonia following reports that they are continuing to dupe residents in the area.
This is despite the fact that Government has taken over Caledonia.
Addressing the media during a tour of Caledonia on Tuesday, Caledonia project chairman Mr Percy Toriro said residents from Caledonia were continuing to pay land barons who are still claiming ownership of the land.
“It is quite unfortunate to note that there are bitter land barons who continue to live in the past and have not gotten over the fact that the era during which they illegally duped residents in Caledonia of their money is over. Land barons who have previously used residents in Caledonia as their cash cows smuggle names from our lists and sell stands to residents who end up losing money in the process.
“Residents in Caledonia must be aware of the fact that there is only one authority which oversees the project in Caledonia, which is the committee assigned to the project by Government,” said Mr Toriro.
He said despite the issue of land barons, the project was going on well.
“We have managed to resolve most of the technical, criminal, administrative and financial issues concerned with the development of Caledonia.
“The 4,2km road which joins Tafara, Mabvuku and Caledonia to Damofalls is in the middle of construction at this point, and we will soon issue out a tender to prospectors who want to construct another road through the area” said Mr Toriro.
“Seven out of eight bridges have also been constructed in Caledonia, allaying residents’ fears following the drowning of 12 children in over-following streams since the beginning of the Caledonia project.
Mr Toriro said residents, who had previously erected settlements on land meant for schools, under pylons, on wetlands and other illegal areas, would be relocated.