via Confusion over Iain Kay’s suspension | SW Radio Africa by Tichaona Sibanda November 18, 2013
Iain Kay, the former MDC-T MP for Marondera had his five year suspension rescinded over the weekend, according to the party spokesman.
But Piniel Denga, the chairman of Mashonaland East province told SW Radio Africa that Kay remains suspended, despite spokesman Douglas Mwonzora saying the suspension was ‘null and void’.
Kay was last week slapped with a five-year ban from politics by his provincial executive in Mashonaland East for recently suggesting that party President Morgan Tsvangirai should resign.
The former legislator’s comments two months ago left the party in turmoil when he reportedly told the media that the MDC-T was like a ‘soccer team’ and “if the coach continues losing, there is need for the technical board to sit down and deal with the issue.”
He continued: “There is need to plan ahead before the ship sinks and if there is need to change the coach, then let it be. Or should I say it is like a rusty bolt? There is need for it to be removed and replaced with a new one rather than leave it like that.”
Over the weekend the party said the decision by the Mash East leadership to suspend Kay for five years is not valid. Mwonzora said contrary to the decision by the Mash East leadership, the issue had long been resolved.
Mwonzora said he together with MDC-T leader Tsvangirai met Kay to reprimand him for making public comments supporting leadership renewal, without following proper party procedures.
Kay, who insists his comments were taken out of context, said he was happy the top leadership reversed his suspension. His joy has however been short lived after Denga said on Monday that Kay’s suspension remains valid, contradicting what Mwonzora said.
“The province set up a disciplinary committee and he appeared before it and was charged with breaching party rules and tarnishing not only the image of the President (Tsvangirai) but the party as well,” Denga said.
He added: “He was slapped with a five year ban, of which one and half years were suspended. On the statement issued by Mwonzora, I can only guess that he spoke before he had an opportunity to see the letter that we sent as a province. I’m reliably informed he has received it, so he is better informed now than last week.”