via MDC-N power struggles worsen | SW Radio Africa by Mthulisi Mathuthu 22 October 2013
Power struggles within the MDC-N are worsening after an expelled provincial leader threatened to launch ‘plan B’ to remove secretary general Priscilla Misihairambwi-Mushonga.
A Southern Eye report Tuesday quoted former Matebeleland South chairperson Petros Mukwena as saying the remaining members ‘will effect plan B against Misihairambwi-Mushonga and remove her’.
Mukwena said he was ‘one of the strongest people in the party’ adding that his expulsion last week for failing to appear before a disciplinary hearing was a ‘non-event’.
Mukwena, who was suspended before the July 31st election, was due for disciplinary action over allegations of spearheading a recall of Secretary-General Misihairambwi-Mushonga from the National Assembly. Mukwena has been calling for her removal, alleging that her selection was irregular.
However, the party leadership argues that she was elected through proportional representation on a Matebeleland South ticket.
Mukwena accused party leader Welshman Ncube and his subordinates, Misihairambwi-Mushonga and director of elections Paul Themba Nyathi of turning the party into a ‘club of three’.
Meanwhile a Daily News newspaper report on Monday quoted Bulawayo provincial spokesperson Edwin Ndlovu confirming the suspension of the Pumula District Committee pending a disciplinary hearing.
The district leadership who include Chairperson Losiya Chamisa Ncube and Organising Secretary Nqobizitha Moyo are accused of disrespecting the party leadership.
Ndlovu told the Daily News that the committee are accused of ‘deliberately sabotaging the party’s campaign in the run up to July 31 elections by creating divisions among party members and of hiding campaign material and refusing to adhere to countless requests by district and ward members to call for post-election meetings’.
The MDC-N situation is made all the more dire by the fact that only a fortnight ago national director of policy and research Qhubani Moyo resigned and publicly stated that he would ‘accept’ a job offer from ZANU PF.