via Mangoma trial date set | The Herald August 11, 2015
The trial date for former Energy and Power Development Minister Elton Steers Mangoma, who is accused of flouting tender procedures during his time in the inclusive Government, has been set for September 21.
Mangoma (54) allegedly hand-picked OK Zimbabwe as the third party pre-paid electricity vendor after ordering cancellation of a ZETDC tender.
His lawyer Ms Beatrice Mtetwa told the court last week that the State was taking too long to finalise its investigations and furnish the former minister with a trial date. She made an application of refusal of further remand, arguing that the bail conditions were stripping Mangoma of his life.
“The State, on initial remand, stated that it only needed one month to conduct its investigations, but now its almost three months and the State is still seeking extension,” said Ms Mtetwa.
“Those reporting conditions mean he can’t go about his life as usual. He can’t travel, he can’t go about with his business as he has to report every week. There will be absolutely no prejudice to the State if the accused is removed from remand and continue by way of summons.”
Prosecutor Sharon Mashavira indicated that the trial date was available but they were not in possession of the State papers. The magistrate Mr Francis Mapfumo gave the State more time to put its house in order. Mangoma of 25 Pendennis Road in Mt Pleasant, Harare, is facing criminal abuse of duty as a public officer charges. The complainant is the State Procurement Board represented by its principal office Mr Cledwyn Nyanhete. It is alleged that in August 2012, ZETDC floated tender number ZETDC 13/ 2012 for the appointment of third party pre-paid electricity vending. The closing date was October 2 the same year.
On September 17, 2012, Mangoma directed ZETDC accounting officer Mr Julian Chinembiri to cancel the tender.
Furthermore, Mangoma allegedly ordered Mr Chinembiri to hand pick OK Zimbabwe for the pre-paid electricity vending without going to tender.