via ZEC’s contempt of court exposes its credibility: MDC-T | The Zimbabwean by Edgar Gweshe
The MDC-T has blamed the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission for contempt of court after the latter disqualified the party’s candidate for Ward 12, Mt Darwin East, from contesting in the July 31 elections against a High Court order to the effect that the contestant was eligible to participate.
In a statement, the MDC-T said that Christopher Chigwande had earlier on been told by ZEC hat his papers were not in order and this disqualified him from contesting for the position of Ward 12 Councillor.
Following the development, Chigwande approached the High Court on July 8 and lodged an appeal against the electoral body’s decision. The case was heard before Justice Happias Zhou “After going through the appellant’s case in Case No: EC15/13 Justice Zhou duly granted Chigwande the right to contest and ordered ZEC to accept his nomination papers and to duly register him as a candidate for Ward 12 in Mt Darwin East.
“However, on 31 July 2013, the day of voting, Chigwande’s name was missing on the ballot paper. This allowed the Zanu PF candidate to win uncontested for the position of councillor in the ward. Despite having launched a complaint on the matter with ZEC, the electoral body has not been cooperative,” read the statement.
The MDC-T claimed that ZEC’s behaviour was a huge cause for concern that raises doubt over the electoral body’s credibility and non-partisan approach to electoral issues.
“ZEC’s behaviour raises serious questions on the credibility of the electoral body particularly its impartiality in the handling of the just ended disputed election,” read the statement. The party’s spokesperson, Douglas Mwonzora’s phone went unanswered when contacted for comment on the way forward.