LOCATING Zimbabwe’s multiple faceted crisis, to the unresolved crisis of legitimacy, and the stolen election of July 2018.
Concerned that the concerted attacks and desperate measure unleashed by the State, Zanu Pf and Mr Mnangagwa on the MDC Alliance.
They wanted MDC Alliance to join POLAD.
They wanted MDC Alliance President to accept to be Leader of Opposition in Parliament.
They wanted MDC Alliance to accept the stolen election outcome.
They want to tell MDC Alliance who to partner and how to oppose.
THEREFORE, in this context, the National Standing Committee of the MDC Alliance met today in Harare and made the following resolutions
(1) Supreme Court judgement
(v) The Supreme Court judgement has engendered illegalities and created unconstitutional outcomes which include the following,
- extending the terms of office of the 2014 structures which were elected in October 2014 with the terms, therefore, expiring in October 2019.
- The judgment also conflates three different organisations the MDC, the MDC-T and the MDC Alliance (the latter two which competed against each other in the 2018 election).
- Ignoring the juridical fact of the MDC Alliance being established by virtue of participation in the 2018 elections.
- Ignoring the juridical act of the MDC Alliance congress of May 2019.
(2) The recall of MDC Alliance members of Parliament
(i) The NSC notes that a separate independent the MDC Alliance participated in the election of July 2018.
(iii) Only the MDC Alliance has the power to recall its MPs. No-one else has the mandate to do that except only the MDC Alliance.
(3) The position of MDC Alliance in Parliament
(4) The Protection of the Struggle
(ii) The party resolved to take all the necessary steps to recover all the gains of the peoples’ democratic struggle.
(5) On Covid-19
• The fight for a people’s government, reforms and return to legitimacy.
• The fight for a better life, dignity and livelihoods.
• The fight against corruption.
• The fight for rights, freedoms, security of persons and rule of law.
• The fight in defence of the constitution and constitutionalism.
We now call upon the people of Zimbabwe to build a broad consensus and united front of all progressive citizens to address the national crisis.