Source: Kangai’s bid to block replacement fails – NewsDay Zimbabwe July 25, 2017
THE High Court yesterday dismissed a bid by fired NetOne chief executive officer (CEO) Reward Kangai to stop the parastatal from advertising for his replacement.
BY CHARLES LAITON
Early this month, Kangai filed an application arguing he was still the incumbent NetOne boss since his matter challenging his dismissal by the parastatal was still pending in court.
However, Justice Lavender Makoni ruled that Kangai had brought an application that was similar to the one which another High Court judge, Justice Priscilla Chigumba, had previously dismissed.
The application was heard in Justice Makoni’s chambers and the developments were confirmed by NetOne’s lawyer, Moses Sinyoro.
“Kangai’s application was dismissed with costs after Justice Makoni ruled that there were no changed circumstances in his matter. The judge said he had brought an application based on the same facts with the one that was dismissed by Justice Chigumba,” Sinyoro said.
“The judge also found that Kangai filed the application in July, but his contract had expired by June 30 this year and besides, when he so filed his application, he well knew he was no longer NetOne’s employee because his contract had not been renewed.”
The former NetOne CEO had filed a prohibitory interdict to stop his ex-employer from filling the post until such a time when the court would have fully determined the legality of his contract’s termination matter which is still pending.