Mutasa in angry rant at Zimpapers, ZBC

via Mutasa in angry rant at Zimpapers, ZBC 25/11/2013 NewZimbabwe

PRESIDENTIAL Affairs Minister and Zanu PF secretary for administration Didymus Mutasa has come out guns blazing, attacking the public media which is under the stranglehold of his party for – well, ignoring him.

Mutasa called a press conference in Harare on Monday, telling reporters he had been asked by Media and Broadcasting Services Minister Jonathan Moyo to address the media on “to correct some reports”.

“I have been asked by Moyo to talk to you about the report that was in the media regarding his gaging,” Mutasa said.

He said he had asked Moyo why, as a government official and senior party leader, he had never been allowed access to the public media.

“We have never been allowed to speak to the public press and I asked Moyo why he now wanted us to speak to the public press. Except the private media even in peacetime I am cut off deliberately,” he said.

“I am not sure if the problem is the editors … and if it is like that it is unfortunate. At the event to launch our manifesto somebody deliberately cut me out. It is very clear that Mutasa was cut off.

““You have never seen me on this television and I am not sure whether it is public or private. The public media has been cutting us out. It is not Jonathan’s fault … and it is not Webster Shamu’s fault who was minister at the time. It is wrong. Some of us have fought for this country for a very long time.”

Mutasa, who described himself as the Zanu PF chief executive officer, said he only implements decision of the politburo and was now trying to bring the warring parties (party spokesman, Rugare Gumbo and Moyo) to some understanding.

Moyo and Gumbo were involved in a public spat last week over the party’s divisive provincial elections.

“Moyo and Gumbo were supposed to be here but Gumbo is in China and Moyo is occupied with something. I was not in the wrangle (between them) but only trying to bring them together for the good of the party and country,” said Mutasa.

“The wrangle in the last two weeks was unfortunately propelled by the media who do not want to see peace in the media and amongst the media. You want to see us fight. Please stop it.

“Leave us alone and do not make us fight, report correctly. I knew you did not want to report on me I did not cry I kept quiet, the Manica Post had terrible reports on me and I understand that most of you are young people who do not understand what we do.”

Advertisement

He challenged the state media to report fairly and objectively.

“Regard us as your leaders all of us we come from the people and because we are you leaders and we come from the most important person in the country who appointed us,” he said.

 

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 3
  • comment-avatar
    Charlie Cochrane 8 years ago

    ‘mutasa drops dead’……..now that headline would be a great one and he’d finally be of service to his country!

  • comment-avatar
    Zvorwadza 8 years ago

    kusura kwemukuru kunokwezva kudhota