Source: Tokwe-Mukosi Dam contractor resumes work | The Herald May 9, 2016
From George Maponga in Masvingo
The Italian contractor at Tokwe-Mukosi has completed mobilising dam construction equipment and 100 workers have since moved on site as the firm intensifies preparation for resumption of work after Government released money for the project.
Government released $35 million to Salini Impregilio to enable the Italian contractor resume construction work that stopped two years ago owing to payment problems.
Salini stopped work on December 18, 2014 and removed equipment, which was shipped to the firm’s other construction projects across Africa, while 10 workers remained on site.
However, the company has been shipping construction equipment back to the dam site over the past four weeks after Government released money to complete the project.
Salini Impregilio project manager at Tokwe-Mukosi Mr Urbano Luzo recently said the movement of equipment to complete the dam had been completed, adding preparations to resume work was going according to schedule.
Mr Luzo said that his company was going to meet the December deadline.
“We have finished moving all the equipment that we require to complete the dam project. We have been busy moving the equipment into the country from our headquarters in Italy and I am happy that everything is now in place to resume work.
“We need to sort out a few logistical issues before we hit the ground running,’’ said Mr Luzo.
“We have also increased the size of our workforce on site where we now have about 70 people.
“In the coming few weeks we expect the number to go to more than 100 before swelling further once construction has reached peak.’’
Mr Luzo said Salini was looking forward to hand over Tokwe-Mukosi Dam to Government for commissioning in January next year.