via A CASE FOR ZIMBABWEANS UNITED FOR DEMOCRACY (ZUNDE) January 15, 2014
Since the formation of Zimbabweans United for Democracy (ZUNDE) late last year, multitudes are embracing our vision while some are questioning why we have decided to create another movement. It is appropriate that we address some of these concerns now. A point we need to stress though, is that there is never a wrong time to do the right thing. This response is not to be confused with our detailed policies that will be developed following intense consultation with input from experts in respective areas.
Progressive Zimbabweans at home and in the Diaspora have ultimately come to the realisation that we will not achieve much if we remain bystanders hoping that the existing pro-democracy movements currently on the ground will do everything for us. There is an urgent need for a unifying platform that can rally pro-democracy activists and bring people together in finding a lasting solution to our protracted crisis. “The pen cannot be mightier than the gun” declares ZANU PF, evidently stuck in the primitive mindset and myth that they fought for our country and are therefore entitled to remain in power forever. What a travesty of the liberation war!
ZUNDE is a unifying movement borne out of a fusion of progressive cadres who fought in the liberation struggle and the new generation of pro-democracy fighters. Our form, nature and scope will be determined by our members in response to unfolding events and realities before us. A synopsis of our vision and objectives is:
- To create a democratic, peaceful and prosperous Zimbabwe based on equality
- To create a vibrant society in which we all work and live in harmony in resolute defence of our freedom and values.
- In doing so; to unite Zimbabweans, especially the youth, at home and in the Diaspora to participate, as one, in resolving, once and for all, the political crisis engulfing Zimbabwe.
These objectives are firmly anchored in our core values of Fairness, Accountability, Inclusiveness and Respect (FAIR)
ZUNDE, true to our name, is a bridge from the previous futile and failed attempts to dislodge ZANU PF. We are committed to go beyond the 31 July 2013 disappointment. It is a bridge from disunity to unity of purpose, from despondency to hope, from surrender to standing up and from personality focus to values focus, a bridge to our long held national aspirations of freedom and prosperity. ZUNDE represents bold, decisive honest and transformative leadership. The following are some of our characteristics;
- ZUNDE is not fighting against individuals but the iniquity of a system.
- As we step up the struggle, we recognise and applaud what our predecessors in the fight for democracy have done so far.
- We are not accountable to anyone except the people of Zimbabwe wherever they are.
- We have not received funding from anyone; our people will fund this noble cause from their personal resources and initiatives.
- We stand for what is right for our people from whom we take our mandate.
At ZUNDE, we are quite aware of ZANU PF’s proclivity for violence and intimidation. Nevertheless, for us, FEAR IS NOT AN OPTION. ZUNDE will do whatever it takes, to eradicate this dictatorship that we have been seized with for decades; this is not an empty promise.
ZANU PF remains entrenched in power while the opposition movements are seemingly running out of steam. A viable alternative and strategy are, therefore, an urgent necessity. ZUNDE is ready to go the extra mile without resorting to complaining. Once our people agree and decide on a course of action, that becomes ZUNDE’s mandate. We commit to match ZANU PF man to man under any circumstances. Our principles are governed by the following;-
- We will fight for the proper running of national elections.
- We will not accept that being on the voters’ roll is a privilege when in other countries, voting is mandatory.
- Diaspora vote and the right to citizenship are non-negotiable.
- We will fight for a government of the people using resources and support of the Zimbabwean people at home and abroad.
- We don’t believe in hero-worshipping individuals, every member has a potential to lead the organization. ZUNDE actively promotes the youths to take charge of running the movement as they have the vision, capacity, energy and vibrancy to carry the nation into the future.
ZUNDE understands the frustrations being felt by many in their different pro-democracy parties. Many of us have our origins there. This is their opportunity to re-direct their efforts towards a new initiative that is clear on how real change will come about without resorting to limited options. ZUNDE wishes to assure all genuine activists that they are welcome to join hands with us. For ZUNDE, democracy is now in sight and will be achieved in our life time!
THE END-POINT & PAY-OFF
ZUNDE is not an opportunistic or transient movement. We are not newcomers as we have participated in both the liberation struggle as well as the fight for democracy in Zimbabwe.
The assumption or assertion that Mugabe is part of the solution proved to be a gross miscalculation. The GNU did not deliver much for the people of Zimbabwe. If anything, it served to prolong the people’s suffering by giving ZANU PF a new lease of life, and for some, an opportunity to amass personal wealth.
ZUNDE believes in the long standing counsel that we are our own liberators. Therefore, we will not outsource the people’s struggle for freedom, dignity, humanity and prosperity. Those that liberated Zimbabwe did that so the people could be more, not less, sovereign. ZUNDE emphasises that it is everyone’s responsibility to unite our people and decide how best we are going to liberate ourselves.
ZUNDE has a clear end-point. Our struggle shall be complete when the evil dictatorship system is eradicated and replaced with a viable and enduring democratic dispensation. We recognise that some of our people, in particular, those in public institutions have been forced to surrender to the ZANU PF patronage system ostensibly for survival. Through relevant commissions of enquiry and other legal instruments, ZUNDE will actively facilitate and promote rehabilitation for those willing to serve professionally in the new democratic dispensation.
Zimbabwe is our motherland. United we can do it.